Saturday, May 27, 2006

Patience and EQ

I was told that the longer you know a person, the lower your EQ is towards that person. I didnt give much thought to such deep philosophical philosophy. After all, why do we need to scrutinise friendship to levels like this? Why cant we just be natural?

Recently, however, I saw that truth revealing itself in me. I realise that I am getting short tempered to closer friends and surprisingly more tolerant to new friends. I find myself losing patience quicker. I snapped at them easily and would often seemed as targetting at them. Like a angry lioness ready to pounce at her victims. Why is this happening? No, it is not the effect of any pre or post menstrual syndrome that is often blamed for weird mood swings in any girls. I begin to realise how annoying this can be. A friend told me today that it seemed that I can no longer take crap or lame jokes. I just snapped at her when she said something during dinner.

But I didnt just snap at her. I just thought that if indeed you have done something not right, why cant you just admit it? Why is there a need to beat round the bush and to act cool? I mean, why? Why cant things be simpler? You are right if you are and if you are not, just admit you're wrong. There arent ways to un-wrong soemhting. There might be ways to patch wrong things up but it is still a mistake. It's not that someone else is waiting for you to make mistake and then pounce at you. What is so difficult in admitting you are wrong?! I really dont understand and it irritates me. And it annoys me even more because the table is turned as it was as if that I am the calculative one. Why? It's just some plain dumb situation, for goodness sake!

I thought I had to be more gracious to people around me. There must be a reason why patience is included in the fruit of the Spirit in the Bible. The Lord must have seen this coming. People do tend to lose patience with people closer with them. Should closer friends not know better? Should they not know what closer friends prefer? I thought it's a universally understood understanding! However, if they are, grace and patience would not exist in this world. If the Lord were to employ the same attitude towards me, I would be dead a thousand times. That's the beauty of grace. It allows time for understanding and acceptance. It is patient and not fussy. It is beautiful and that is what that makes it so precious. Our Lord is good indeed.

I just have to learn to practise more patience.......

2 comments:

Chew Don Ryaniquel said...

Lame jokes can be funny or it can be just plain disgusting. Depending how its brought out. So don't take it as general as 'you can't take lame jokes' . Lame jokes have different grade of quality.... =)

You could try 'anger management' ....

=)

Cheers
Ryanq

Tong How said...

dun worry sis.... everyone needs a good lesson in patience and in grace... if you have the heart to want to learn .. that is good enough!