Saturday, October 01, 2005

A whole new beginning

I couldnt find a suitable word to describe my going-ons for the past one month. It has been exciting, scary, unperdictable and emotional, all lumped together forming a complicated concoction of indescrible feelings. The 13 hours journey wasn't as bad as I had initially thought. I spent my time watching movies in the plane, besides gulping down meals served. Oh yeah, I had red wine too. That was to keep me warm and to help me to sleep. But still, the excitement was over-whelming. I found myself staying awake throughout the whole journey.

I was on my way to a whole new beginning in a foreign land. A land that I had always wanted to go. A period of being away from home that I thought I would like. The door to this new adventure was at my feet. I couldn't wait to start anew. Perhaps I was escaping what I was going through in my beloved hometown. Or perhaps, I had just wanted to start afresh. Why did I insist? I do not know it myself. I'm here to see, explore and try.

Finally, on September 14, I stepped out to this new land which will be my home for the coming year. A land by the name of England. I'm here finally. I couldn't help but gave thanks for His wonderful provision. He has brought me here safely. The first week saw me travelling from London to Nottingham and Stoke-On-Trent. Beautiful country. Green and pleasant. It took quite a while for this thought to sink in. I'm here finally. Excitement kept me afloat for the first week. I had much sight seeing to do. Met and made some friends. The Lord has been gracious. I was very well taken care of. Well fed and kept safe. How thankful I was....

International and freshers' week flew past me. I have now moved in into a new abode that will be my home for the next one year. A small house with 4 rooms. Classes will commence soon. I'm beginning to settle in. I began to miss home, my family, all my friends from church and school. I did not realise how much I actually miss them until last week when I was walking home from uni and tears started to well in my eyes for no apparent reasons. I hasten my walk home and quickly commit these feelings to the Lord. The same thing happen during my first breaking of bread service in Clumberhall Evangelical Church last Sunday. How I wished that everyone's here with me. I could hardly concentrate in service. And I miss everyone dearly. All... I had always thought that I'm independent enough to stand on my two feet even in a foreign land but I was proven wrong.

There are many things to get adjusted to. The unpredictable weather especially, not to mention the thick accent of some locals. But these will also come to past. Right now..I'm looking forward to the break of dawn of a new day. A whole new beinning for me....

1 comment:

ling said...

we miss u too irene! :) one more year.. very fast wan! stay strong and close to the Lord ya!