Monday, October 17, 2005

Grace spelled and expounded

I was in Grace's house today for lunch after the breaking of bread service in Clumberhall. Gace has always treated me very warmly and I'm very comfortable around her. Unlike some others whom I'm still feeling stiff around, looking for topics to talk about. But with Grace, it was different. She was just gracious. We took the tram to her house which is just 10 minutes away from the city centre.

She cooked while I hang around in her kitchen, exploring her things. Very rude of me but I was really curious on an English home's settings. The amount of cutlery and plates and cooking utensils they have simply amaze me. Back home, I would had have them disposed!
She made some delicious chicken with cauliflower and carrots and potatoes, covered with think brown gravy..simply delicious! Like in Ada's house, we sat at the table and talked. She told me bout people in Clumberhall. It was like a brief introduction to the believers in clumberhall. I found out today who was married , who wasnt and who's widowed. It was amazing that some chose to remain singles and serve the Lord so faithfully. Where do they get the strength from? And if only I could take a picture of the believers in Clumberhall, you would understand my enthusiasm. They are all three scores and above. Some are in their eighties! I don't reckon I would still have the strength to walk out, take bus and come to church when I'm eighty! I would probably be in a wheel chair and need to be look after by someone else! Simply amazing. Suddenly, I begin to see their love for Christ and how He has blessed them so richly. What a privellege to still be able to gather with peers at that old ripe age and break bread together on every Sunday. Truly..what a privellege...

Grace then told me about her family, her parents and brothers. Her parents are both missionaries from England who went to Brazil to start a church. Forgive me for not remembering the name of the place where the church was first planted, it was too foreign for me to remember. She herself was born in Brazil. She made a scrapbook of the life of her mother. Grace's mother was born in 1899. She recounted bit by bit from the time when her mother was born, into her teenage years and eventually marriage days before having Grace and her 2 brothers. As we flipped through the album together, I was amazed. It was simply overwhelming..the stories of her parents, their work and their lives as a family. There was so much love in this family. And oh, Grace was a dashing young woman in those pictures. It was a pity that she was never married ( I think so as she did not mention anything bout having a husband). And oh her younger brother was a fine young man too. He passed away just last year because of cancer. After the photo session, I understood why she has so much to say about her younger brother. He was such a gem...and all were fond of him. And of course, both Grace and him were very close. It was a pity that he has passed on. He was 64.

In Clumberhall, all are very old. As Grace shared with me, the thing that struck me was how times has changed. Back then, Christians were much more responsible and their love to the lord permeates the air. Christian parents teach their children so well that they too continued on in their faith even until old age. There are so much warmth and love and people really love the Lord. Looking now, what has it become? Why has "christianity" become such a taboo subject? Why is it so difficult to talk to one another about the Lord? Why is it that we can talk to each other bout any other things so spontaneously and naturally but become stiff when it comes to the Lord? It became apparent to me that the world has evolved and changed to such a way that it moulds everyone to be someone that they are not supposed to be. It's really a pity..

What can I absorb from Grace and Ada and others in Clumberhall to bring back to my home? I'm determined to learn as much from them as not go back empty handed.

Oh Lord..help me..

2 comments:

Tong How said...

wonderful experiences... thank the Lord, and it would definitely nice to hear all the stories from you!

oyling said...

It's unbeliavable, isnt it? I find it amazing. The Lord has indeed been very gracious. Truly, grace spelt and expounded.