Monday, September 12, 2005

Reserved

There are names that are only reserved for certain people. Certain names are "in-claimable". For example, my first name ends with a "ling". Only my closest friends can call me that without me having chill down my spine. It's not that I'm fiercely protective on who can call me that name but rather only these few can call me that without me having extra thoughts! Recently, one of my classmate started calling me that. I had chills down my spine. I suddenly felt cool..It the same feeling where you've seen something you shouldn't have seen or heard something so rarely spoken in public. A friend puts it aptly, "Public Display of Affection". Forget about the crush I had on him, he has crossed the line. Haha...It brought me to realise one thing. If guys are more sensitively responsive to touch, then girls are equally sensitive to words! See how greatly we are created? This should also remind all guys who read this, be more sensible in words when talking, especially to girls! Haha..Also to the girls, keep an arm's length apart. No matter how unnecessary you think these rules are, it's always good to learn to draw your lines and boundaries. Certain things are best to be reserved for only your special partner..Keep it that way. But the again, each person draws their own lines and none should question why it's drawn that way. I know I claimed not to be an avid fan of Elisabeth Elliot's writings on "purity, crushes" matters, but these are the few things that has as if been implanted on me..Taught rather..

4 comments:

Tong How said...

although i must admit that the sensitivity thing on our words.. is kind of tough, but it does not mean impossible... just need some effort and the right mind set. I guess no matter who you deal with.. the main focus is your respect for the person... and the basis of that respect should always come from the approval from God.. every one has their own"lines" right? well if we ask God there will be one standard line wouldn't it? .."ling" .. hahaha just kidding..

Anonymous said...

tell me about it! especially understand how u feel bcos we both have the same last name! ahaha.. it really sends a chill down my spine! keke..

Anonymous said...

well, i know it's ok for cindy to call oy ling aka irene, ling... coz have been calling her than for years now... hahaha... hor ling... started with oy ling oy ling... then somehow oy ling was said so fast that it ended up with only ling... hahaha...

oyling said...

I absolutely agree on the respect part. If we treat each other with due respect, we need not worry too much on crosssing lines. However, it is not easy. I always find the line between respect and playful to be very thin. I mean, a person cannot always stay rigid and not be playful but then again, when one gets playful, things might get out of hand. It's really weird, best is leave it as it is and not be bound rigidly by these rules. But still, draw your lines.