Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Loosening up

"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."
Ephesians 5:18

I often wondered why was this verse included in the bible because the Spirit dwells in us when we first believed and is the stamp of our deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. In that case, how do we be filled with the Spirit? Is that not already in us? In that case, could this verse mean our living styles? Live as if we have the Spirit in us, which means living holy lives. Lives that are pleasing to our Lord.

I looked up in the dictionary what debauchery means. This is what I found. Webster Dictionary gives this interesting meaning of "debauchery".

-Excessive indulgence of the appetites; especially, excessive indulgence of lust; intemperance; sensuality; habitual lewdness.

I've never seen a drunkard before. I often wondered what goes through his mind. Is he conscious? Does he realised what he's doing? I wouldnt want to try it myself. It'll be Hell let loose. But during the Lady Trent Ball, a friend of mine gave me this opportunity to witness a drunkard so graciously. I didnt know what made him drink so much or so quickly. Just right after meals, he was already floaty. He somehow kept clinging on the wall for support and start mumbling to himself. I thought he was just upset. Soon, he was on the floor doing back flips which he failed and fell heavily on the floor. Fortunately it was carpetted.

We got worried and wanted to get him home. Oh man, it was so difficult to get him to sit still. He was all over the place. He began mumbling. He was fortunate enough to have a large group of guys surrounding him and holding him in case he rushes out to the road and get killed! He began telling secrets of the universe and giving warnings that the moon is coming. The guys were kind enough to entertain him. It was so difficult to get him to sleep because he kept vomitting. Cabs came by him and wouldnt take him in case if he vomits in the car.

As I watched him fumbling and mumbling about that night, I see a very different person. I thought I saw the child in him. He was less protective and was more open up. The only regret I had that night was why didnt I ask for his pin number? He would have given me willingly, I'm sure! I see a friend loosening up. No worries on his face, he was all vulnerable. Perhaps that is why the Bible reminded us to be filled with the Spirit and not wine. He had bits of memories here and there about that night. He remembered blue shades and a red toy car. The child in him emerged that night when he saw a red toy car. He refused to let that go and hung on to it till he fell asleep.

I wondered what would have happened if it was a girl who got tipsy and drunk. A person becomes very vulnerable when she is drunk. What would she do? That was probably why girls should never go drinking by themselves. Anything could happen. Such is the power of alcohol.

No comments: